As a co-founder and former President of MG Law, Bernie has seen action on and off as well as in and out of court. A Richmond native, he was a standout basketball player at the University of Virginia, graduating in 1968 with his law degree. Bernie’s wealth of legal savvy has scored with his clients — keeping them coming back and referring others for over 40 years.
Real estate, construction, finance and business transactions law are the primary focus of Bernie’s law practice.
As an AV® rated attorney in Martindale-Hubbell law directory, Bernie is viewed by his peers as having the highest quality and ethics rating possible for attorneys. He has been twice listed in Virginia Business magazine as one of Virginia’s “Legal Elite” in Real Estate law, and was also listed in the inaugural List of Top Lawyers published by Richmond Magazine.
His commercial real estate practice encompasses real estate acquisition, development and finance. He works with construction companies, developers, small shopping centers and small business owners. He has worked with many of the most reputable developers in the area. By securing enforceable contract terms, adequate funds, and finance contingencies as well as anticipating and minimizing potential hurdles, Bernie’s goal is to protect his clients and move the process along so they can get down to what they do best — business.
Primarily representing residential contractors and subdivisions, Bernie’s construction law practice focuses on providing legal advice related to real estate subdivisions, small shopping centers and home construction loans.
Bernie’s residential real estate clients range from individual home buyers and homeowners to developers and builders. His residential real estate transactions work includes the gamut of legal advice such as agreement of sale, escrow accounts, title insurance, mortgage and home inspection contingencies, closings, and transfer of ownership.
Working with condominium and property owners, Bernie provides sophisticated advice on condominium & restrictive covenant documents, construction loans and tax-credits.
His lender representation work includes document review and contracts for banks of all sizes ranging from small community banks to national corporations. His transactions work includes SBA loans as well as commercial loans.
Focusing on small businesses, Bernie’s business transactions practice includes buying and selling a business, corporate formation, stock options plans for simple, non-public stock, contracts, finance and general corporate counsel advice.
Bernie is married, and his hobbies are UVA basketball and football, reading, exercising and jet skiing.
An avid sports fan and athlete, Bernie is in it to win. He understands business and brings common-sense legal advice to his clients — helping them stay competitive in any economic climate.
- Commercial Real Estate Acquisition, Development & Finance
- Construction Law
- Residential Real Estate Transactions
- SBA Lending
- Condominium & Restrictive Covenant Documents
- Corporate Entity Formation and General Corporate Counsel
- Business Law
- MeyerGoergen PC, 1991 to present, Co-Founder, Partner 1991-2016, Of Counsel 2017 – present
- Martin, Meyer, Rothenberg, P.C., 1976-1991
- Martin & Meyer, P.C., 1969-1976
- University of Virginia, LL.B., 1968
- University of Virginia, B.A., Economics, 1965
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- “Legal Elite,” selected by Virginia Business magazine in the Real Estate/Construction category, 2000, 2003
- “List of Top Lawyers,” selected by Richmond Magazine in Real Estate Law/Commercial and Real Estate Law/Residential categories, 1999
Boards and Activities
- Richmond Bar Association, Executive Committee, 1983-1984; Chairman, Real Estate Section, 1983-1984
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Rotary Club International, former Director
- Salvation Army Advisory Committee for the Adult Rehabilitation Center, Board Member 2000-present, Chairman, 2005-present
- Richmond Residential Services, Inc., Board Member
- The Healing Place, Board of Directors
- Lawyers Helping Lawyers, Board Member & Past Chairman, Richmond area; Past Board Member, State Committee
- Lincoln Savings & Loan, Former Vice Chairman of the Board