John is an experienced attorney who has tried numerous cases to verdict, negotiated complex agreements, and represented government entities and employees in construction, environmental, employment, civil rights, and constitutional disputes. John joined MeyerGoergen in January 2021 after ten years of public service.
As a public servant, John worked for both the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Office of the Henrico County Attorney. While with the Attorney General’s Office he tried high profile cases to verdict in both state and federal courts and argued before the United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. At Henrico County he led the County’s litigation response in various types of matters, prevailing in land use trials and other contested matters.
In addition to representing clients in litigation matters, John served as counsel to the Economic Development Authority of Henrico County. In that role he provided legal counsel for numerous economic development agreements, land transfers, and other development projects.
Besides practicing law, John enjoys spending time with his family, running, traveling to interesting places, and reading.
- MeyerGoergen PC, 2021 – present
- Henrico County Attorney’s Office, 2015-2021
- Office of the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Virginia, 2010-2015
- Geoffrey McDonald & Associates, 2007-2010
- LeClair Ryan, PC, 1999-2007
- Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University, J.D. 1998
– George Mason Law Review, Associate Editor
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A. Political Science, 1990
Boards and Activities
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Third District Disciplinary Committee, Chairman, Section III
- Henrico County Bar Association, Member
- Richmond Bar Association – CLE Committee
- President, Lake Anna Woods Property Owners Association
- Central Virginia Legal Aid Society – Pro Bono Housing Law Project
- St. Benedict Oktoberfest, longtime volunteer