Rick leads the firm’s Business Law group. His law practice focuses on real estate-related transactions including historic tax credits, banking and lender representation. He also provides legal advice on mergers and acquisitions, general corporate, securities and franchising law.
Rick’s commercial real estate practice includes real estate development and transactions work. He has extensive experience in real estate financing, with particular emphasis on rehabilitation development. He represents individuals, developers, and corporations in the purchase and sale of land, warehouses, office space and shopping centers. Rick also represents developers in the rehabilitation of historic properties involving tax credits, often used to convert old warehouses into apartments in Richmond, Tidewater and other areas of the Commonwealth.
Rick represents many of central Virginia’s largest regional banks, as well as a host of local community banks, and real estate developers. His success in protecting his clients and advancing their interests has created long-term client relationships that have survived a tough economy and turbulent times in the banking industry.
In the business and corporate arena, Rick has successfully guided many business owners through the process of either acquiring or selling their companies. He provides general corporate counseling, entity formation, and succession planning as well as contract and transaction advice. He serves businesses of all sizes, including a significant number of Richmond’s largest privately-owned businesses.
Rick’s philosophy is to provide clients with the outstanding value they deserve. Whether the client is a real estate developer, a large commercial lender, or a small start-up business, he provides solid legal advice with fees in proportion to the scope of work provided. This approach keeps his clients coming back every time they need a business lawyer.
- Commercial Real Estate Acquisition, Development and Specialized Finance
- Historic Tax Credits
- Low Income Housing Tax Credits
- Banking and Lender Representation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Entity Formation and General Corporate Counsel
- Business Law
- Securities Law
- Franchises and Franchising Law
- MeyerGoergen PC, 1992-present, Partner 1996-present
- McGuire, Woods, Battle & Boothe, 1987-1992
- T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond, J.D., 1987.
- McNeil Honor Society, Richmond Law Review
- University of Virginia, B.S., McIntire School of Commerce, 1984
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Business Legal Eilte, 2014